Have you been assigned to write a scientific project? Then, it is high time to learn scientific paper format rules. This type of work has certain distinctive features and peculiarities, which you need to know to submit a well-structured assignment. Compared to an essay, which consists of one page, this assignment is a big project that includes several sections. Here is an ultimate guide for writing a high-quality scientific work structured in accordance with the general writing style standards such as quotation marks, which have been adopted by the scientific society.
“Most of the fundamental ideas of science are essentially simple, and may, as a rule, be expressed in a language comprehensible to everyone. “
Sections of Scientific Paper
There is one standard established for writing scientific papers for college and university students. Before you get started working on your assignment, check whether you have a clear picture of how it must look like. So, what is it crucial to include in this kind of work?
- Title page
- Findings of an author
It is the standard scientific work format every student should repeat before getting started. You need to include all the listed sections whether you write a research project in Biology or in Physics. Their number may slightly vary depending on the individual requirements of the professional state journals where you plan to submit the scientific work.
Why is it so important to stick to this standard? First of all, this format is logical and informative. However, it isn't the only reason why exactly this format has been chosen by scientists. Your prоject should be structured so that other authors could use your results when continuing the research in the same subject field. That's why you should write your assignment keeping in mind the thought: “ I need to make my article valuable for the scientific society.”
Helpful Tips for Writing Each Section of a Scientific Paper
Read what parts you must work on to submit high-quality work. Let's deepen into each of the must-have sections of this academic work:
- A title is the face of your paper. It is the first page your tutor will see. It would be a pity if he/she notices some mistakes. So, design it the right way. Everyone knows that you can make the first impression only once. So, make it positive by structuring a cover page the right way. It must contain such data as the name of the student or group of students if the assignment has been written by more than one person. Pay special attention to the title, which must be eye-catching. A title should be attractive to your reader. At the same time, you need to make it the one that reflects the main topic idea. Brainstorm several titles before choosing the best one.
- Write a clear and concise article abstract. It is an obligatory part of your scientific paper format, which should be short (a summary of up to 250 words) but informative. It is written for people to learn about the main points discussed in the work. It is like a guide to reading your main research. If you hook the reader, he or she will have a strong wish to discover what is next. It is a description of the key ideas.
- Create a powerful introduction. Give some background information, the significant facts that may add value to your research articles. The process of writing an introduction takes much time, although it mustn't be long. It is a real art to put the key point of the whole writing into one paragraph making it original and hooking at the same time.
Also, don't forget about a strong thesis statement. Write one sentence or a couple of sentences, which would reflect the purpose of writing and your main interest as well as the standpoint. Introduce the central idea of your topic and explain why you have chosen exactly this specific aspect for the research and discussion. Bear in mind that your audience should understand what question you set at the beginning of the research when analyzing your findings.
From Body to Conclusion
- Share the methods you've applied. The next part of your science project must tell about the methods used in the process of the study. It is of the utmost importance to structure it carefully. The point is that other researchers can evaluate your work and apply the same methods if they have turned out to be effective for you. It would be great if you could include the illustrative material in this section providing the evidence of the efficiency of the methods. Some comparative analysis of the effect each of the methods has can be included as well.
- Describe your results. Your reader feels impatient and wants to know whether you've achieved success or not. Share the detailed information about the results you've got following the methods described in the previous section. The results and experiments section should be illustrative. Interpret them carefully. Every detail matters here. Use tables for the data to avoid chaos in this section. Pay special attention to structuring the results if your text contains figures.
For instance, the work in Physics or Chemistry may contain the numbers meaning temperature changes that have taken during experiments. Describe the main features and draw the attention of the reader to the graphs or a table with the numerical information. Provide the results of the qualitative and quantitative research, including the materials showing the practical application of the results.
- Share your thoughts about the possible application of the results. Finally, you are expected to write a discussion section. It is the part where you should figure out the benefits of the relevant research findings for the scientific society. How will future generations be able to use your conclusions for further research? Provide persuasive examples based on experimental knowledge. Tell the reader whether the experiment results you got at the end coincide with the hypothesis made at the beginning.
- Include all the sources of information used. There are certain rules for formatting a list of references. Present a list of all the cited literature sources used in the alphabetical order. Also, you are recommended to check the citation rules before writing this final paragraph. Ensure that you've included only credible Internet resources and sources of information that refer to the main theme. If you cite some publication in the scientific paper format, you should mention the reference giving the exact link or the page of the journal where he or she could find the information mentioned by you.
What makes a good scientist? It is definitely an ability to follow the rules and apply the already existing published methods to discover something new. Focus on the uniqueness and the novelty of your studies and the success is guaranteed!
Hope that these easy tips will help you to craft a brilliant work. Lack time to complete an A-level paper? Get professional academic support at the custom writing site round-the-clock! You have already learned how to write such kind of works with the help of our tips. So, entrust it to our experts!